Posted by Doug Hays on the 19th of July, 2006 at
11:01 am under Microsoft Challenges. This post has 66 comments.
At long last, my UTC 6700 is playing nicely with our Exchange Server (SP2). For the past month, I have been wrangling with everyone’s favorite ActiveSync error, #85010014. I was able to sync from my PPC to Outlook but that doesn’t really help me as I wanted to be able to get to my email/calendar/contacts from anywhere.
So, I searched and searched and most of the postings out there have to do with the desktop 85010014 error whereas the error I was receiving was a server 85010014. Finally, I stumbled across this site:
Which led me to a Microsoft KB article:
Following the advice of the KB article did the trick! For anyone else trying to solve this issue, the Resolution Method #2 was the path that I took (since we have a small environment and I have admin rights on the server).
Now, its on to try the Missing Sync to complete the Exchange->PPC->Mac syncronization loop.
Posted by Doug Hays on the 12th of July, 2006 at
12:07 pm under Coding - .Net. This post has 78 comments.
I have decided to leverage Microsoft’s Reporting Services 2005 as the PositiveWare reporting engine. The thought was that I would have a quick way to crank out reports and be able to easily export them to PDF and Excel. Its amazing how, out of all of the features of a reporting engine, exporting to PDF/Excel seems to be the most important feature.
Anyways, I was fairly pleased with Reporting Services as a graphical tool to build reports. But here are some shortcomings of RS2005:
- No real CSS support
- SOAP method of rendering reports doesn’t easily support drill-down and drill-through
- Horrible rendering in non-IE browsers
Well, in true developing-with-Microsoft-tools style, I have spent the majority of my time working around these issues. The first issue I’m just ignoring and the second issue I have coded around by re-writing the HTML as it passes through my app after the SOAP call.
The third issue is an odd one. In Safari and FireFox, the resulting report tables are very ’scrunched’. Each column is about 5 characters wide… It was a mystery for a month until I found this marvelous tip:
I found a workaround for this, insert an empty
text box and size it to the required width
of your page. Set the 'Can Grow' property
to False. This will fix the width of the
table cell used to render the report content.
I tried it, and sure enough, it works in FireFox. Off to test Safari…